Monday, March 3, 2014

#29 North Twin Mountain, #30 South Twin Mountain, #31 Galehead Mountain, #32 West Bond Mountain, #33 Mount Bond, #34 Bondcliffs, and #35 Zealand Mountain, New Hampshire

As a sort of "last hurrah" of the summer, I decided to throw in a long ridge hike in the Pemigewasset Wilderness of New Hampshire.  I left Burlington around 6:30am on a Sunday in late August of 2013 and parked at the trailhead of North Twin mountain.  The trail heads up to North Twin in about 4 miles, but not before crossing over a beautiful river three times.  The views were incredible.  Looking to the northeast was the Presidential range, and to the southwest was the Franconia Ridge.  Absolutely killer.






 
From the top of North Twin I headed along the ridge to South Twin, which is a few hundred feet higher in elevation.  The views from here were even more spectacular, though it was more crowded than North Twin, which had only one other hiker.  The hike I had planned, which was 21 miles and five 4,000 footers, did not include Galehead mountain, which was just over a mile from South Twin, via the Galehead hut.  Seeing as it would only add about 2.4 or so miles onto my day, I decided to go for it.  I didn't realize, however, that the trail would drop over 1,200 feet in .8 miles!  Coming back up was a challenge.  Galehead mountain offered zero views from the summit, but there was a vista on the way up that looked back toward South Twin.







Once back on top of South Twin, I headed south along the ridge toward the Bonds.  The trail comes out of the trees at Mt. Guyot, which is not itself a separate 4,000 footer due to its lack of prominence.  However, I headed over Mt. Guyot and continued toward the Bonds.  I took the trail split and headed west to tag West Bond, which offered really killer views looking back toward the Bondcliffs.  I backtracked the mile back to the main trail, continued to Mt. Bond, and after a very brief stay due to limited views, I finished the trail over to the Bondcliffs.  The Bondcliffs offered arguably the greatest views of the day.  It was so clear at this point, and I had amazing views of the entire Presidential range as well as the Franconia Ridge.  It was amazing.











By this point in the day, I had gone about 15 miles and it was hot.  I had about 8 or 9 miles to get back to my car and I was nearly out of water.  I had my purification pump, but no water sources to be had up on the ridge.  In any event, I headed back over Mt. Bond and on to Mt. Guyot, where there was a trial split heading east to Mt. Zealand.  Although I had been told Zealand offers very little in the way of views, I felt like I had to tag it while I was up there.  So I took the trail a little over a mile to Mt. Zealand.  The summit was just a pile of rocks in the middle of a bunch of trees but hey, another peak bagged.


I was pretty dehydrated as I backtracked to the ridge trail and up to South Twin.  I knew there were some water sources on the way down from North Twin, so I just had to make it there it one piece.  I feel like I was a bit delirious at this point, but I trudged over South Twin, on to North Twin, and let gravity do its job taking me down the trail to the water source.  I pumped bottle after bottle of water and took it all down.  Once I let it settle a bit, I started to feel a lot better.  I finished off the last three or so miles, met some great people and had some great hiking conversations on the way out, and back to my car.  The mileage ended up being, ironically, 26.2 miles, so I essentially did a marathon on the mountains!  Another great day to be alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment